> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Wills and Probate > What can I do if one of the beneficiaries named in the will, even though they have received what was given to them by the will, wil not sign off

What can I do if one of the beneficiaries named in the will, even though they have received what was given to them by the will, wil not sign off

1 Answers. Asked on Apr 04th, 2012 on Wills and Probate - Tennessee
More details to this question:
my brother was given 2 pieces oif property several years back, my father told him this was his inheritance, in my fathers will, he left my brother $1000 and stated in the will that he had already given him his property and his other property was to be given 50 /50 to my sister and I. The will is in probate, as executor of his will I have made sure that everythin g has been taken care of and am ready to close the probate, was told I had to get signatures from everyone stated in te will that they have received what was stated in the will, my brother has received his money but says that he won''t sign the paper because he wants the house that my father left my sister and I, what are my options now to be able to close this out? Thank you.
Tagged as:
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Apr 25th, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Tell your brother that neither you, nor the judge can change the terms of your father's Will. Explain that your brother's unwillingness to sign his receipt simply makes the process drag out and costs money.

If he continues to refuse to sign the receipt, then present the canceled $1000 check to the judge and explain the situation. The judge can then decide what to do.

Your brother cannot make anything happen simply because he is unhappy with your father's Will.

To your Success,

Gale Allison, Principal Attorney
Allison Firm, PLLC

Report Abuse
Wills and Probate
Don't make the mistake of thinking that only the rich, elderly or those with children need a last will and testament--every adult can benefit from an estate plan, including a last will and testament. Wills and probate attorneys can work with you to devise an estate plan that explains how your assets should be distributed after your death. Your lawyers can craft a strategy to reduce estate taxes and help ensure the financial security of your spouse and children. Wills and probate law firms can also guide estate executors through the probate process.
Have an Wills and Probate Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

331 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

242 Answers, 46 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

172 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

102 Answers, 17 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

99 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

89 Answers, 34 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

67 Answers, 24 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums